Friday, February 17, 2017

Week 2: The Finished Wound Models *Graphic Image Warning*

This post contains images of open wounds to compare to the models. If gory images make you queasy, you should probably stop here. 


This week, I finally finished the wound models I was working on. 

I ended up smoothing out the edges with modeling wax. No extra adhesive was needed. 
I, then, covered up the clear wax with some liquid foundation and used dark makeup to imitate bruising. The blood in these models is made from halloween blood paste.

The first wound model I was working on was pretty shallow. I only cut through one layer of the suture pad. This smaller wound was also outlined by scarring.

My model (top) and reference (bottom) are shown below:

https://www.dermquest.com/image-library/image/
5044bfcfc97267166cd62f27?_id=5044bfcfc97267166cd62f27





























Wound model #2 was definitely deeper and a lot harder to recreate. I had to carve out a lot more of the suture padding layers. This one had a lot more bruising and disrupted skin around it. 

My model (top) and reference (bottom) are shown below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frf1cycCCCg






















Next week, I will start learning to use the laser scanner and a 3D modeling program called Artec Studio 11. This will give me the introduction I need to start working with patients, after I get the appropriate training. 

See you next time


5 comments:

  1. What is the purpose of making these models (which are really cool by the way)? Will you use the laser scanner on them as your training?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The models are basically representative of what the laser scanner will produce, but obviously with more precision.
      I used them to visualize what my data will look like and also to show doctors that are interested in my project.

      Delete
    2. A quick update, we did use the laser scanner on the wound models this week.

      I'll be posting pictures in my next blog post so stay tuned!

      Delete
  2. Asfia, here are some random thoughts/questions: are you receiving information on type of wound, cause, and location? The second wound model was really good, I can tell you are perfecting your technique. The wound looks like someone's sutures opened. Also, I am curious as to whether you will make any models more contoured as many times wounds can exist on movable parts of the body causing pulling, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pulled these picture off google so that I wouldn't violate any confidentiality laws.

    My knowledge of the location and cause will be more clear once I begin to scan wounds on actual patients. However, I do know that the second picture is of wound dehiscence, which means their sutures did open after surgery.

    As for the contouring, I believe the scans of actual wounds will do a better job than a model could.

    ReplyDelete