Thursday, February 9, 2017

How The Body Heals

Hi, my name is Asfia Numani and I am a high school senior at BASIS Phoenix. 


As a senior at BASIS, I have been given the opportunity to spend my third trimester pursuing a research project pertaining to my interest in medicine. This blog will relay my experiences and discoveries as I complete my senior project, "Laser Scanning the Healing Process".


Wound healing is one of the miraculous processes the human body is able to perform. However, doctors face a challenge when assessing how well a patient is recovering from an injury. At this point in time, all they can do is look for signs like discoloration and swelling to determine whether something has gone wrong with repair. Most of the time, the culprit is infection. By the time outer signs manifest, it is much harder to treat. 


For my internship, I will be working with Dr. Justin Ryan at Phoenix Children's Hospital's Cardiac 3D Lab, using a laser scanner to create models at different stages of the healing process. The goal is to discover new symptoms and indications of how well a laceration is mending. I will then compile the information I gather in a way that is useful for physicians. 

Here is a link to my proposal: https://docs.google.com/document/d/12D7pb4wiLAVMCNbovi4vjuLL1CVAM8eVh09aMVcUrZg/edit?usp=sharing


(phoenixchildrens.org)

For those of you who will follow my blog regularly, I hope you enjoy reading about my project. You can subscribe through email in the top right corner. 

I'm really excited to get started!


No comments:

Post a Comment